The International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology (icipe), Kenya, in partnership with the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) In-Country/In-Region Scholarships Programme and African university partners, invites applications from suitably qualified candidates for PhD scholarships in the African Regional Postgraduate Programme in Insect Sciences (ARPPIS).
icipe is an international scientific research institute, headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya that works towards improving lives and livelihoods of people in Africa. The centre’s primary objective is to research and develop alternative and environmentally-friendly pest and vector management strategies that are effective, selective, non-polluting, non-resistance inducing, and which are affordable to resource-limited rural and urban communities. icipe’s mandate extends to the conservation and use of the abundant insect biodiversity found in Africa. icipe is the only international centre in sub-Saharan Africa working primarily on arthropods. icipe works in a holistic and integrated approach through a 4-H paradigm – Human, Animal, Plant and Environmental Health – with the aim of improving the overall health of communities in tropical Africa by addressing the interlinked problems of poverty, poor health, low agricultural productivity and degradation of the environment.
- A national of a country in sub-Sahara Africa.
- A Bachelor’s degree with a minimum pass of second-class, upper division.
- A Master’s degree taken with both coursework and research in the field of natural sciences or other field relevant to the PhD project.
- The Master’s degree must have been completed less than six years ago at the time of application.
- Qualified female candidates and candidates from less privileged regions or groups as well as candidates with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.
- Qualified nationals of French- and Portuguese-speaking countries in Africa are also encouraged to apply.
- Preference will be given to applicants with a maximum age of 36 years (men) or 40 years (women) by 31st December 2016.
- Additional specific entrance requirements will be considered for admission depending on the Eligible PhD Project(s) selected by the candidate. For information on applicant requirements for each project go to: http://scholarships.icipe.org/application/documents/phd_projects.pdf
- A working knowledge of English (written & spoken).
- Completed application forms and accompanying supporting documents.