Canon Collins Trust, in partnership with the University of the Witwatersrand and the Institute of Economic Justice, is offering scholarships for a Masters of Commerce in Applied Development Economics at the University of the Witwatersrand in 2022.
Application Deadline: 9th August 2021
About the Award: These scholarships seek to support exceptional individuals who are committed to social justice in Southern Africa, and for whom a postgraduate qualification is an essential tool in working towards advancing economic justice, and promoting equitable economic development that realises socio-economic rights for all. Funding for these scholarships has been made possible through support received from the Sol Plaatje Educational Project (SPEP).
We offer funding towards your Masters course, an opportunity to enhance your networks and strengthen your leadership skills through organised events, and a 6-month paid internship at the Institute of Economic Justice, a progressive economics think tank committed to building a more just economy.
Successful applicants will be expected to apply for the 2022 Wits University Postgraduate Merit Award.
Eligibility: Eligible applicants must:
- be a resident national of South Africa, Namibia or Zimbabwe;
- be applying for a full-time Masters of Commerce in Applied Development Economics at the University of the Witwatersrand in 2022;
- hold an honours’ level academic qualification with a minimum grade point average of 75%, or be in their final year of Honours study in the year of the application;
- demonstrate a commitment to apply their skills and qualifications to advancing social justice, and promoting equitable economic development that realises socio-economic rights;
- be available to undertake a 6-month paid internship at the Institute of Economic Justice immediately after completion of study.
Please download and read the guidelines carefully before applying for this scholarship.
Please see here for information on the Masters of Commerce in Applied Development Economics and the eligibility requirements of the university.
Eligible Countries: in Southern Africa
To be Taken at (Country): Wits University, SA
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award: The Canon Collins Scholarship for Economic Justice includes:
- a contribution towards your costs for the duration of your study period (R60,000 per academic year);
- a 6-month paid internship at the Institute for Economic Justice, a progressive economics think thank located in Johannesburg that works at the intersection of policy, research and advocacy to build a more just economy; and
- an opportunity to enhance your networks, and strengthen your academic and leadership skills through organised events.
How to Apply: Apply now
- It is important to go through all application requirements in the Award Webpage (see Link below) before applying.