The Institute of International Education’s Scholar Rescue Fund (IIE-SRF) accepts applications from professors, researchers, and public intellectuals who face threats and cannot continue their work in their home countries.
Application Deadline: 12th July 2021
About the Award: The Institute of International Education’s Scholar Rescue Fund (IIE-SRF) is the only global program that arranges and funds fellowships for threatened and displaced scholars at partnering higher education institutions worldwide. These year-long fellowships of $25,000USD support temporary academic positions at institutions of higher learning anywhere in the world where IIE-SRF fellows can continue their work in safety. In most cases, IIE-SRF fellows are eligible to apply for a second and final year of fellowship support.
Eligibility: Scholars from any country and in any academic field or discipline may qualify. Applicants are assessed based on academic qualifications and experience, the quality and/or potential of their work, and the urgency of the threats that they face.
Preference is given to scholars who:
- hold a Ph.D. or highest degree in their field and have significant teaching and/or research experience at a university, college, or other institution of higher learning;
- have an established record of published research;
- demonstrate superior academic accomplishment or promise;
- are facing or have recently fled from immediate, targeted threats to their lives and/or careers in their home countries or countries of residence;
- will benefit their home and/or host academic communities.
We encourage applications from women and members of ethnic, racial, cultural, or religious minority groups, or those otherwise underrepresented in their fields.
Unfortunately, IIE-SRF typically cannot consider applications from individuals who:
- are seeking to continue their studies, including Ph.D. study, or to complete an academic training program;
- have been displaced or have resided outside their home countries for more than two years;
- hold citizenship or permanent residency in a safe second country;
- will have completed two years on a comparable fellowship or other program for threatened scholars.
Because of high demand for assistance, IIE-SRF is not able to grant fellowship support to all applicants who meet the minimum eligibility requirements.
Eligible Countries: Any
To be Taken at (Country): Country of choice
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award: The IIE-SRF fellowship package includes the following:
- A yearlong research and/or teaching appointment at a higher education institution in a safe location anywhere in the world;
- a fellowship grant of up to $25,000 (most awards are eligible for renewal for a second and final year);
- individual health insurance coverage;
- funding for relocation to the host institution;
- professional development support through resource guides and access to academic networks; CV and cover letter review; letters of reference; career mentorship and advising on post-fellowship opportunities; and (in some cases) financial support for conference attendance and language training;
- opportunities through IIE-SRF or partner events, media, or other venues to share or promote the fellow’s academic work and/or speak about his/her home country;
- dedicated support from IIE-SRF and its partners – before, during, and after the fellowship.
Duration of Award: The IIE-SRF fellowship term typically ranges from 9 to 12 months. The fellowship term is ultimately determined by the needs of hosts and fellows. Fellows are eligible to apply for a renewal of the fellowship for up to one additional year of financial support.
How to Apply: Scholars can apply by sending the required application materials to us directly at [email protected]. In cases where a scholar is unable to submit the application, a third party may send the materials on their behalf.
- It is important to go through all application requirements in the Award Webpage (see Link below) before applying.